- Inspire, grow and develop individuals by helping the creation of their personal development plan, leveraging available learning resources and offering stretch opportunities.
- Get things done in the right way by taking ownership, being proactive and collaborating with business counterparts, peers, other craft managers and stakeholders.
- Ensure delivery by tracking team health metrics and KPIs, monitoring roadmap progress, identifying blockers and resolving or escalating them.
- Own a service end to end by actively monitoring application health and performance, setting and monitoring relevant metrics and act accordingly when violated.
- Reduce business continuity risks and bus factor by applying state-of-the-art practices and tools, and writing the appropriate documentation such as runbooks and OpDocs.
- Independently manage an application or service by working through deployment and operations in production and guide more junior members of the team in this topic.
- Address and resolve live production issues by mitigating the customer impact within SLA.
- improve the overall reliability of systems by producing long term solutions through root cause analysis.
- Keep track of incidents by contributing to postmortem processes and logging live issues.
- Build software applications by using relevant development languages and applying knowledge of systems, services and tools appropriate for the business area.
- Write readable and reusable code by applying standard patterns and using standard libraries.
- Refactor and simplify code by introducing design patterns when necessary.
- Ensure the quality of the application by following standard testing techniques and methods that adhere to the test strategy.
- Maintain data security, integrity and quality by effectively following company standards and best practices.
- Has sufficient knowledge to advise product teams towards a technical solution that meets the functional, nonfunctional & architectural requirements by challenging the rationale for an application design and providing context in the wider architectural landscape
- Set a clear direction for a technical capability by evaluating and aligning the target architecture improvements, reframing architectural designs and decisions for varied stakeholders.
- Strong people management skills and experience;
- Excellent communicator with strong stakeholder management experience, good commercial awareness and technical vision;
- You are a humble and thoughtful technology leader, you lead by example and gain your teammates’ respect through actions, not the title;
- Experience in software development, building complex and scalable solutions;
- Proven experience leading and managing a team of engineers in a fast-paced and complex environment;
- Solid experience in at least one programming language (Java, C/C++, Python, Go)
- Ability to formulate software solutions from scratch
- Solid understanding of Service Oriented Architecture, Microservices & OOP patterns
- Hands-on experience in Linux administration and troubleshooting
- Creative approach to problem-solving
- Practical experience in understanding and defining SLIs and SLOs
- Past experience with Payments or FinTech and working in a regulated environment is a plus;
- Strong analytical skills and data-driven mindset.
- An opportunity to contribute to a high scale, complex, world-class product and seeing real time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide;
- Be part of a truly international fast paced environment and performance driven culture
- Various opportunities to grow technically and personally via side projects, hackathons, conferences and your involvement in the community;
- Opportunity to apply technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit;
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions;
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in Booking.com;
- We value diversity of all types and in an open, dynamic workplace. This has been a pillar at Booking.com since day one, and something we continue to strongly believe in and build today.
Amsterdam - Netherlands
Java Job Details
The role of Engineering Manager - Site Reliability, is to primarily manage, mentor and develop a team of Site Reliability Engineers, ensuring the development of both (the individual and team as a whole) are in line with organisational objectives and direction. Manages all activities in scope through the direction of activities, to design new products and modify existing designs, ensuring that deliverables are on time and with acceptable quality. The role holder is required to analyze technology trends, human resource needs, and market demand to plan projects to ensure resilience in line with current demand and future ambition. In addition to this, the role will confer with leaders, production, key stakeholders and marketing teams to determine engineering feasibility, cost effectiveness, scalability and time-to-market for new and existing products.
FinTech is a complex, competitive and exciting industry. To accomplish Booking.com’s mission (“making it easier for everyone to experience the world”), we aim to offer frictionless payment experiences to our guests and partners. The FinTech business unit creates best in class payment products that offer choice to guests and help Bookings business partners grow their business.
What you’ll be doing:
End to End System Ownership
Technical Incident Management
Building software applications
What you’ll bring:
In return, we’ll provide:
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.