- Lead the performance of multiple teams on your scope, as well as driving the technical agenda of your area with long-term reliability planning. You will support the execution of the HOW, and challenge the WHAT with the product leads.
- Coach, support and set Engineering Managers in your team up for success. Having a consistent track record of expertise growing technical leaders and managers, the successful candidate will facilitate the growth of our future engineering leaders.
- Act as technical leader to propose, act and solve issues, impediments or blockers (typically not only on the scope of a single team). This means you will facilitate your teams’ execution of their backlog by removing technical roadblocks, either internally or with external stakeholders.
- Management of managers and senior individual contributors alike. This means establishing their S.M.A.R.T or measurable objectives, cascaded from the team level and individually, via individual development plans, performance improvement plans or growth plans.
- Responsible for bringing in the right people, with domain expertise, or to grow those that don’t have it, into it.
- Dually responsible for the collective software delivery, reliability and resilience as well as organisational health of all teams under your scope.
- As a senior manager, you should always act fairly, responsibly, exhibit role model behaviours and be an ambassador of Booking.com’s five core values.
- Provide architectural guidance and deliver innovation underpinned by technical excellence.
- Deep technical expertise and thorough hands-on experience modern, interoperable, web systems development (8+ years working in technology)
- Demonstrable experience in shaping and leading a software engineering platform function (5+ years as a manager)
- Experience of building front end platforms and Micro Front End architecture for mobile applications or web experiences
- Demonstrable experience building solutions using service oriented architectures
- Experience of leading directly a team as well as through others
- Track record shaping products from concept through delivery at scale
- Natural leader and communicator who is collaborative and builds great relationships
- Clear verbal & written communication, able to explain technical topics to non-technical stakeholders
- An interest in connecting the dots and collaborating with various stakeholders to prioritise what maximises business value
- Living and working in Amsterdam
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world world-class product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide;
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture;
- Opportunity to utilise technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit;
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions;
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation;
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com.
- This role will lead the engineering track, with several full-stack teams delivering both web & native mobile app experiences.
- Multi-product purchasing is the next horizon of growth for Trips BU, beyond cross-sell.
- We ultimately have the opportunity to re-imagine how customers assemble and buy a whole trip.
- Build successful engineering teams
- Cross-Sell & promotions UX that is extensible to any product combinations
- Mission is to ‘make it seamless’ for customers to add more to their trip through cross sell of our vertical products pre and post sale.
- Evolve technical solutions that enable the right level of interoperability between the vertical products, hosting in-path and post-book cross-sell experiences. Providing immersive experiences for customers to get the most from their trip.
- Mission is to ‘make it easy’ for verticals to increase market share on top of the initial “anchor” vertical transaction. E.g. Flight or Accommodation for example.
- Technical leadership and engineering delivery of our cross-sell solutions
- Develop and grow the Engineering Managers & engineering teams
- Product engineering background, also senior IC roles (preference for front end interop, front end as a platform and API design experience)
- Experience leading horizontal areas and enablement teams
- Experience of leading teams delivering Micro Front End architectures / front end components for app & web.
- Experience building solutions using Service Oriented Architectures
- Experience as leader of a product engineering organisation
- Experience in travel industry is a big plus
- Java experience and delivery of APIs at scale (high traffic)
- Frontend experience, background in React.js or other Web/App frameworks
- 29 vacation days to go exploring
- Generous accommodation discount, so you can explore for less
- Annual Bonus package
- Subsidised staff restaurant
- Huge learning and development platform tailored to you
- Shopping and leisure discounts through Perkbox
- Interest free travel loans/discounted car parking
- Competitive parental and adoption leave
- Flexible hybrid work model
- Wellbeing focus
- Mental health first-aiders and free face-to-face support
- Think customer first
- Succeed together
- Own It
- Learn Forever
- Do the Right Thing
Amsterdam - Netherlands
Java Job Details
Senior Engineering Manager - Trips Foundations
At Booking.com, we believe travel is a force for good in the world, connecting people and cultures, reducing barriers and increasing understanding. Our mission is to make it easier for everyone to experience the world.
Trip Foundations is focused in bridging the Booking of today into the Booking of tomorrow, and lead the evolution of Booking from a single product company to a multi-product offering company with an unprecedented, personalised travel experience at the heart of its success.
We are looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to join our organisation and lead the teams tasked with engaging customers throughout their trip experience, from initial booking, to the in-trip experience.
Senior Engineering Manager
As a Senior Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for leading several teams focussed on driving our cross sell user experience delivery taking a significant level of ownership and guidance to this area. You will lead your team to design and build technical solutions that enable customers to review, interact and purchase the most relevant products easily within our web and app platforms.
You will work closely with multi-functional product development teams across all verticals (Cars, Flights, Taxi, Insurance, Data, Accommodations, Attractions), Trips Tech Horizontals leadership, customer service and more. Your mission is to develop the platform capability that makes it seamless to offer our products in-path and post book, solving the manifold technical challenges therein.
You are also required to analyse technology trends, human resource needs, and market demand to plan projects to ensure resilience in line with current demand and future ambition. Interacting with stakeholders to determine engineering feasibility, cost effectiveness, scalability and time-to-market for new and existing products.
Why are we hiring this role:
What will this person deliver?
What do we offer our employees?
Full relocation support for you and your family (if the case) to move to Amsterdam - one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe.
We have fine-tuned this process by successfully relocating 300+ Technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year alone!
Booking.com core values
We want our colleagues to have a work life balance that works both for them and the business. Our core hours are 10-4 with flexibility around that within a 37.5 hour week. This role may be required to work on an on-call rotation.
We are also open to considering other flexible working arrangements. Our Talent Specialists will discuss this with you if your application is progressed.
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.